Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What? Soda tax? Are you serious?

So I hear that there is going to be a tax on soda. I believe it's the most craziest thing that I ever heard. I dont think that there should be a tax on soda because it's not going to stop people from buying what they would like to have. Personally i don't drink soda, but if I did I would be upset but i will still buy it because it's something that I crave for.

I remember a few years back cigarettes prices went up, and people was upset but that didn't stop them from buying them. It probably reduced how frequently they bought it but in the end they still bought them. In the article Soda Taxes Are Nothing More Than A Money Grab the author says "these taxes are little more more than a money grab by increasinly desperate government looking to plug holes in their budget". Which I believe is true because the economy is in a bad state right now. To me it is just a way to get the economy back on it's feet by taxing everything.

Don't get me wrong soda is high in fructose and there are health issues containing this like obesity, type2 diabeties, and etc. This is something the everyone is educated on. We as adults can make our own decisions and we take the risk that comes with it. Everyone is going to think for themselves and do what they want to do at the end of the day. Yes our children are being poisioned by this but it is our job as adults to re-educate our children what will happen if they continue to eat the things that they eat and the things that they drink. Just like and adult, are children making their decision. In the same article the author states again "soda isn't a silent killer, but taxing soda isn't a miracle cure for the budget gaps". This isn't going to cure it, the government need to find something else to raise the price because food and drinks are a crazy idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment