Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What's important, the equipment or the training?

As I read “Behind the Counter” I came across something that made me sit back and think about something real quick. I mean it was something that I would never think any fast food restaurant, or any restaurant would even consider in a million years. It talked about how the redesign of kitchen equipment was important than training workers. Now to me that is something wrong because people out here need job training to make them better, and for me to read that made me really think. Any job needs training and for companies in the fast food business to even think like this is crazy because people give their all to learn how to do the job. However the thing that really matter is how easy it is not to train someone. When I read this I noticed in the sentence it said that “one of the most important goals they held in common”. Now equal opportunity is important, being all you can be is important, not equipment.


John Reckert the director of strategic operations and of research and development at Burger King said “the easier it is for him [the worker] to use, the easier it is for us not to have to train him.” (71) Now going back to what I said about equipment and training earlier makes me gasp. The company rather for someone to work than learn how to do the job, and grow from it. A thought had come to mind, which was the money for training really went to redesign and equipment. So think the raise that people want or deserve to get is not going to happen at any point soon because it’s all about appearance for companies. To me it’s all about how to make it look better so that people can keep coming.

While I was working at a movie theatre there happen to be a fire with one of the popcorn machines, and it was destroyed. With the proper training the fire would never happen, but sometime mistakes are made. So the company plenty amount of money on the new machine, but I remember months before that a couple for workers was fight for a raise because they’ve been there for a while and they’ve great amount of work. I could remember was there request denied, and now that the incident had happen the new machine came within two weeks. That raises my eye because they have been fighting for so long, and this happen the machine comes to fill the space to make it look better. So the money that is not going to raises is really going to equipment. So I guess equipment is more important than training.

No comments:

Post a Comment